Boost immunity with this probiotic beverage
Since we are on the subject of protecting ourselves from the coronavirus, and boosting immunity. Let’s try and include a healthy probiotic beverage that is rooted in our Indian tradition and we do not use enough of it. Here is a traditional beetroot kanji recipes for all of you to fortify yourselves in these turbulent times, of uncertainty and what you can do to work through it with food.
- 8 cups Water
- 1 1/4 tbsp Mustard or rai powder
- 1 ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Black salt (kala namak) optional
- Pinch of Asafoetida (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Red chili powder
- Beetroot ½ kg
- Boil 8 cups of water. When the water boils, remove pan from fire and let it cool.
- In a pitcher or jar with a lid, add all of the ingredients in the water and mix well.
- Add Carrots or Beets.
- Keep the pitcher in the sun for 2-4 days, make sure to stir it once or twice daily.
- After 2-4 days when it turns sour, it can be kept in the refrigerator and used as required.
- Serve chilled. Carrots and Beets can be eaten.
- Kanji remains fresh for up to 2 week in refrigerator.
Recommended daily intake: 1/2 – 1 cup a day