Why tofu is so good for you — Plus Dessert recipe of Tofu Cheesecake for Diwali
Tofu or bean curd, is a food derived from soya. It’s made by curdling soy milk, just like we make paneer. It’s a staple in Thai, Chinese and Japanese cuisine. Tofu originated in China about 2000 tears ago originally called ‘okabe.’ A lot of people (and doctors) think that soy is responsible for causing issues with estrogen in women, and giving men boobs. However, just because it comes from soybean, its energy changes; and because it is fermented, its benefits are multiplied. It’s been an amazing source of protein for me, on a vegetarian approach. Just 100 grams has –
- 8.1 grams of protein (complete protein) and 73 calories.
- It contains phytoestrogens (not the same strength as your body’s own estrogen; often called weak estrogen) called isoflavones a group of chemicals derived from plant foods, they mimic the action of estrogen and naturally bind to estrogen receptor sites, reducing the risk of breast cancers.
- For menopausal women, its especially great due to lower sometimes estrogen levels at this time.
- It’s a fermented food so great for gut bacteria.
Storage: After opening, submerge the tofu block in water in a box, and refresh water daily and keep in the fridge.
Not suitable for those with kidney issues.
Versatile ways to use tofu? Its bland, so will need some flavours; especially for an Indian palette.
- Have instead of paneer (cottage cheese) replace it with tofu: paalak paneer (spinach and cottage cheese) or gravy dish with tofu.
- Steam and marinate with ginger and have as an appetizer.
- Cut into cubes, use a tandoori paste and make tikka-style.
- Scramble it up and make with veggies (instead of eggs).
- Use it in a sandwich. My favourite is with sauerkraut and sourdough bread.
- Use in Chinese cuisine sweet and sour gravies.
- Use in bakes, with vegetables.
- Make it crispy by frying or baking.
- Use to cream gravies; I use it in biryani instead of yogurt.
- Use instead of cheese in a vegan cheesecake. I have amazing recipe. Let me know if you want it.
Tofu Cheesecake – Baked
Ingredients for crust
- ¼ cup maple syrup.
- ½ cup organic canola or olive oil.
- ¼ cup apple or orange juice.
- ½ cup walnuts, chopped.
- ½ tablespoon nutmeg.
- 600 grams tofu (I buy Mori Nu silken Tofu).
- 1 tablespoon vanilla essences.
- 2 tablespoons tahini.
- ½ cup lemon juice.
- 1 tablespoon lemon rind.
- 2 tablespoon china grass.
- 2 tablespoon arrowroot powder.
- Preheat oven to 165 degrees Celsius.
- Combine all crust ingredients, except juice (orange/apple) and ½ oil.
- Mix well and bake for 20 minutes.
- In 3 minutes of removing from oven, break it up and let it cool.
- Press this in the baking pan, by using oil and juice to moisten hands.
- Mix all ingredients in a blender.
- Pour it into the crust.
- Bake for 45 minutes at 176 degrees Celsius.
- Cool and refrigerate before serving.