Mushroom Casserole Recipe
- Use any cooked grain you like, like red rice, quinoa or even millet (Foxtail works well).
- 1/2 pound (8 ounces) brown mushrooms, cleaned and chopped.
- 1 large onion, well chopped.
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped.
- 3 cups cooked brown rice, room temperature.
- 2 egg or vegans substitute: use 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoons of water, let it sit in the fridge 15 minutes before using it (you can leave it longer).
- 1 cup tofu.
- 1/2 cup cashew paste (soak overnight then grind to a fine paste).
- 1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt.
- 1/3 cup freshly grated vegan cheese.
- A bit of fresh tarragon or rosemary chopped.
- Preheat oven to 176 degrees celsius.
- Rub a medium-large baking dish with a bit of olive oil or butter and set aside.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat saute the mushrooms in olive oil with a couple pinches of salt. Stir every minute or so until the mushrooms have released their liquid and have browned a bit.
- Add the onions and cook for another 4 or 5 minutes or until they are translucent.
- Stir in the garlic, cook for another minute and remove from heat.
- Add the brown rice to the skillet and stir until combined.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs or flaxseed eggs, tofu, cashew paste and salt.
- Combine the rice mixture and tofu mixture in a large bowl, stir until well combined and then turn out into your prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with vegan cheese, cover with foil and place in oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for another 20 or 30 minutes more or hot throughout and golden along the edges.
- Sprinkle with the chopped tarragon or rosemary, and the remaining cheese and enjoy.